Tuesday, January 6, 2009

becoming self-aware

Happy New Year everyone!! I hope all of you thoroughly enjoyed the holidays. The break was definitely needed but I am ready to start the new semester. In our first class for BEDUC 502 tonight Dr. Banks went into the increased multiculturalism of our student population and the impact that it has on the teaching professional. I believe that diversity is one of our greatest assets along with being one of our greatest challenges. Diversity gives us a richness and texture to our lives that would be surely missed if we were all the same. With a great variation of people the challenge comes in how to give everyone an equal opportunity to succeed in the educational process.

One of my goals this semester is become self-aware enough to realize when I might be imprinting my own biases into my interactions with my classmates. Am I subconsciously treating people differently based on: gender, age, nationality, looks, etc.

Has anyone else dealt with this issue in the classroom or at work? What might be some ques for me to be aware of and recognize?

No comments: